Friday, September 13, 2013

Focus on The Light to BE A Light! Update!



Woah... it's been a while! Here - *pulls curtains back, karate chops cobwebs down, clears off the dust, pops in Mumford & Son's CD, turns up the jam, 30 second dance break* Okay, MUCH better! 

My last blog was over a year ago, June 2012 to be exact!  I stated then that I was "Determined to be great for God."  Well guess what?! I still am!  & I wish that I could report that life has been nothing but sunshine & rainbows since then, but I believe Bob Sorge says it best "Make no mistake, when you devote yourself to knowing God, all of hell seems to resurrect against you."

Sooo let's update you on the last year of determination and perseverance that only the strength of God could pull me through.

I left off with my Momma in the hospital - happy to report she is doing much better especially in the last few weeks.  For those of you who know the story deeper, something has shifted in her mind in the last month & I am SOOO proud of her! Praise God because He is working in that woman in BIG ways!

The day I posted the A New Light... Let It Shine blog - I left out a HUGE hurt that I was facing.  I had lost my husband to the battle of drugs and I was left with our two little men, very little money, past due bills, and a world that was crumbling around me.  The only thing I had left was the love of God - & let me tell you ladies & gentlemen, that is MORE than enough for me.

There were moments where I wanted to throw in the towel - I would get so angry and throw my fit at God asking him "WHAT ELSE?!?!"  Then one day He answered me back with, "I gave you life, the breath in your lungs, the ability to walk, to sing, dance, and praise! I sacrificed my one and only son so that you may be washed clean by the blood He shed... WHAT ELSE RHIANNA?!?!"

Ouch. Smacked in the face with reality!  Flipping open my Bible in that moment to Philippians I found this:

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Breaking it down:

1) Instead of rejoicing about the good in life - I was FREAKING out about everything, how I was going to make money, how I was going to live with a broken heart, how I was going to raise two children on my own... how, how, how, how, how... I "howed" myself into a frenzy! Verse 6 & 7 held the answer - through prayer & petition & thanksgiving presenting my worries, concerns, and everything going on in my life to God - laying them at His feet and trusting/believing that His peace was with me - He would guide me through it all.

2) After laying down the weight of everything going on in the world... I needed to place my mind on the light of the world.  Verse 8 says to think about lovely, noble, right, pure, and admirable things - to focus on the positive and uplifting things.  When you place your worries at Jesus's feet, release them to him, do not hold onto them, don't pick and choose which ones you think that He can take care of - He is the almighty God ... let Him take care of the worries and concerns while you think about excellence! 

3) Verse 9 says for us to "put into practice" the concepts we have learned from God. With all of those beautiful, noble, truthful things you are thinking - start ACTING on them!  Strive to let these words define you! & His peace when you focus on these wonderful things, will surround you!

So here a year later, my how's?!?! have turned into watching in awe how God has taken care of me & my boys in every moment.  I moved to Texas in June and now work for a Christian radio station and a Christian school.  I just finished my last senior level class for my bachelors degree - leaving much more time to write - that's why, HIIIIIII!!!! *waves*, I am on here today!  I'm focused on the good, even when the bad hits & amazing things are happening friends!!!  No matter what happens to you, don't let it effect what God is doing through you! Keep shining amidst ALL circumstances friends!

More updates to follow soon friends- just wanted to drop a line, give an update, say I'm sorry I left for a moment - but I'm back and better than ever!  Talk to you soon! Have a Brilliantly Bright DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment